January 17, 2011 Slow boat day 1

As most travelers do, we crossed into Laos at Huay Xai and then caught the slow boat (2 day trip) to beautiful Luang Prabang.  There were so many warnings about how awful the trip can be but we found it to be completely tolerable.  We had food, beverages, books, patience.  Watching the scenery pass along the Mekong was great.  There's almost no development along it.  I don't recall seeing a single factory or anything.  The most we saw were small villages.  Tiny villages.  Because of the steep hills all around us it reminded me a bit of the fjords at times.  Put me on a boat on a river anytime.  (My one complaint about day 1 was I was underdressed - why did no one warn me about that?)

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely. I mean, tolerance is a good thing to bring on any trip. If I knew anyone who wrote one of these horror stories about slowboating down the Mekong, 1) I'd slap them for their abhorrent typing, and 2) I'd have to reconsider whether I want to ally myself with someone so easily shaken up and rattled.

    ReplyDelete