January 23, 2011 Meandering on a Sunday

Christian and I went wandering through the city again.  We were actually trying to get to the UXO visitor center to look at their information on unexploded ordnance from the Secret War, but it was Sunday (we forgot) so it was closed.  We came upon this large plaza for a culture-gathering area of some kind.  In the middle was this giant statue of someone we don't know and whose name we couldn't read.  He looks very happy and is clapping as though he's just seen a great performance.  I hope he was a good guy because I really like the statue.

Later in the day as we were heading to the guest house, I saw this little girl playing and it caught me off guard.
It's just a toy.
Laos doesn't have a social safety net.  I'm not sure what, if any, services would be available to people with mental illness.  The man behind Christian was freaky and nuts.  He is definitely not a monk.  He walked down the street with an angry energy sometimes kicking random things and then would stop, thrust the bowl tightly against his groin and close his eyes tightly just hoping to get some food or money.  There were two young children somehow connected with him, I'm guessing because they're homeless.

No comments:

Post a Comment