January 9, 2011 Sunday Walking Street (3 photos for today)

On Sunday evenings Ratchadamnoen, the street nearest us, turns into a night market they call Sunday Walking Street.  The whole place fills with some of the best products I've seen here in Thailand, much of it made by the people manning the booths.  The temple grounds along the street become food courts with incredible food for cheap cheap.  We started things off with pad thai for 20 baht (approximately 70 cents) and a chocolate waffle for Xn for 25 baht. 

Sunday Walking Street
After the easy stuff and because it was the first time we've seen it since we've been here, we decided to try insects.  I get woogie just thinking about it.  Christian ate a cricket, which he described as kind of soy sauce flavored.  Then we got a little omelette thing cooked in a banana leaf with ANT EGGS in it.  I chose that over the bees because I just couldn't handle the sight of the big gray mushy bee bodies.  I'm not often bold with food, but I did it - I actually ate bugs by choice.  My husband is so proud of me.

I just ate ant eggs!
At the end of the street we stopped in a temple lot and saw this young woman wearing a Minnesota Gophers sweatshirt.  I told her that's where we're from and asked if we could take a photo with her.  She happily acquiesced.  
It was a wonderful evening on Sunday Walking Street.

1 comment:

  1. I want to make it clear, I also get woogie when thinking about eating insects. I really had to detach from my idea of "self" to put that cricket in my mouth and start chewing. If it hadn't turned out to be tasty, we could've had a messy situation on our hands.

    ReplyDelete